Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lost In Translation

Ozzie Guillen's bad English is getting him in trouble with headline writers. In his tiff with Bobby Jenks he's quoted as saying, "I respect his wife. I respect his kids. I'm not even mad. I wish I was mad about it because I will rip his throat (out)." This statement has led to headlines such as,

Guillen threatens to 'rip' out Jenks' throat as argument escalates

I'm fairly certain what Ozzie meant to say is, "I wish I was mad about it because if I was I would rip his throat out." Since that's not what he said here come the headlines. But I think it's irresponsible to make headlines and stories like that after reading the statement because the headline is implying that a not angry Ozzie is threatening to rip Bobby Jenks' throat out. If that was the case just imagine what he would do if he was mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment